<<BACK

Johnstown Fire
10/7/2019
 
  View Video
 
 
A family was forced out of their home after a fire broke out in a Johnstown home on Bruce Street Sunday morning. Crews said the fire was contained to only one room of the house thanks to quick-thinking actions. A small, quick action saved a family's home and their lives. After a young woman awoke to a fire in her room, she exited her bedroom and shut the door, which fire officials are saying ultimately contained the fire. The house fire began Sunday around 5 a.m. Fire crews arrived at the home where eight people were asleep. Five of those occupants were transported to the hospital with minor injuries. A family member said Monday morning that all five of them have now been released from the hospital. The house fire began Sunday around 5 a.m. Fire crews arrived at the home where eight people were asleep. Five of those occupants were transported to the hospital with minor injuries. A family member said Monday morning that all five of them have now been released from the hospital. Johnstown Fire Chief Bob Statler said the woman who closed the door, prevented the flames from spreading and saved the rest of the house from suffering major damages. "When the occupant of the room of the fire origin woke up the fire was in there. As she was leaving the room she was able to close the door, which allowed other upstairs occupants to get down the stairways which possibly would've been blocked and it contained the fire to that room," said Statler. According to officials, the fire was ruled accidental. Officials say the fire was caused by an air conditioning unit.
  
 
  FIND NEWS BY THE FOLLOWING:
Category
County